Saturday, April 25, 2015

How My Mother Spent My College Fund: Part 1

When I was little, I remember my mother telling me I had a savings account.  She said my dad put $1k in it towards college each year, which would yield a good amount for a college fund back in that day.  I must've been about five at the time because she said there was currently $5k in it, and that my brother, Dante, had a comparable savings account too. 

I remember asking about my savings account when I was a little older, and my mother said it had $5k in it.  I wondered why my dad had stopped putting money in the account, but I didn't question it.  I didn't want either of my parents to yell at me.

I knew Dante's savings account had paid for three things:  a new bedroom set when his bed broke, sessions with a child psychologist, and a very old Mustang that our mother had bought and presented to him as a gift. 

I don't know where my savings account went.  When I started getting my college financing lined up at age 18, I asked my mother about it and she said the money was gone.  Later, when I was grown and started talking with my dad on the phone, I asked him what year he had stopped putting money into the account.  He said he hadn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment