Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day Gifts

When I was eight, I was delighted to discover The Dollar Store because it was finally somewhere where I could afford the merchandise with birthday money.  My mother had a collection of ceramic knickknacks in a glass curio cabinet, so I used the money I had saved up to buy her a Mother's Day gift of a few Dollar Store ceramic knickknacks I thought were particularly beautiful.  I was very proud of my selections and felt like such a grownup for being able to buy a proper Mother's Day gift.

I did not know the white bell with doves on top was meant to be a wedding knickknack until my mother told me so.  I was so ashamed.  I'd had no idea.  Since when were birds and bells reserved for weddings?  My mother had a non-wedding-related bell in the curio cabinet already.  Then she picked up the phone and called her own mother and said, "Guess who discovered The Dollar Store," and went on to disparage my choice of store and gifts to my grandmother while I stood there looking on.

2 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you. I read a few of your posts now and your mother was so abusive.

    ReplyDelete